Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Power of a Compliment

When was the last time you sincerely told someone that they were awesome just because? If you’re like me, you probably think about it often, but don’t always actually take the time to do it. Well, I hope this blog inspires you to reach for the phone and make a few calls to commend those around you.

A compliment or an acknowledgment of someone’s effort is a powerful tool to build relationships and inject positive energy into the universe.

I know that I, for one, do not do it enough. Often times I am living inside of my own head, thinking about my own list of things that have to get accomplished. I get so focused on my needs that I sometimes forget to recognize the hard work of those around me.

It takes a team of people to make any dream a reality. We are constantly relying on others to help elevate us and this is the way life was meant to be. This is why everyone has a different personality and different strengths. The world was designed for us to work together! We would never make any progress if it weren’t for a giant team surrounding us.

As an athlete, I had my coach, club, teammates, National and Provincial Federations, parents, friends, sponsors and countless others who were putting in a daily effort to help me pursue my Olympic dream. I said “thank you” often, but I didn’t say it enough.

Now retired from sport and embarking into the realm of entrepreneurship by opening my own gymnastics facility, I am noticing the same amount (if not more) of ‘behind the scenes’ players who are contributing to the success of my new venture. There are lawyers, realtors, investors, bankers, friends, family, employees, insurance brokers, graphic designers, web developers, print companies, merchandisers, federations, associations, contractors, interior designers, advisors, board members, city planners, property managers, accountants, bookkeepers, IT experts, etc, etc, etc. that are all making huge efforts to help give this project legs. 

 The most valuable lesson I’ve learned in this process is the power of a compliment. It is critical to show appreciation and to acknowledge the significance of those around you. Taking two minutes to recognize when someone has done a great job or has gone out of their way to help you is vital to success. Not only does it make them feel great to hear positive feedback, it makes you feel great too. Complimenting others on their admirable behaviour also reinforces that you recognize their effort. This, in turn, makes them more willing to go to bat for you.

Now, I’m not talking about a generic “thanks”. I’m talking about a thoughtful, genuine and sincere acknowledgment of how much you truly appreciate having them as a part of your team. Think of how they’ve made you feel. Think of what exactly it was that they did that made you feel honoured. Think of how their efforts are positively impacting your success and let them know the details. I encourage you to take it to the next level and make the call or write the note with true sincerity behind it.

My gymnastics coach used to always say that water is way better than fertilizer. He would always make a point of filling me up with positive reinforcement right before a big meet. He would continually remind me of how proud he was of my dedication. He would always reinforce that we were ready to perform. He knew that taking the 5 minutes to let me know that my hard work was noticed would give me the freedom to rise to my greatest level. And it always did.

People love to be acknowledged for their extraordinary skills and talents. People love to hear that they are rock stars at what they do. So, instead of being stuck in your own mind, take a few minutes out of today and make a couple of calls to tell those around you that they are awesome. I guarantee it will make you feel awesome too. 



For more blogs like this, visit Revive.ca 




No comments: